Sunday, July 3, 2011

Surviving a Rip Tide

What was an otherwise fun filled trip to the Outer Banks (fishing report to follow) was marred by the drowning of a man witness by myself, my kids and other on the beach in Waves NC last week. As we were setting up our chairs I noticed several people moving to the waters edge 40-50 ft. away. Charter boats were 150 yards off the shore chasing cobia or mackeral, and as we walked down to see I realized that 1/2 dozen people were caught in a rip tide and clinging to floats. Two or three men rushed in without boards or any floatation and were soon struggling in the outgoing currents. Rip tides are powerful and not uncommon on the Outer Banks and other destinations on the East Coast, and knowing how to recognize them and how to react to save yourself and others is important. One or two swimmers not clinging to floats had managed to swim parallel to the beach and escape the current. The rest clung together and continued to fight against the rip. Within another few minutes rescue personnel arrived and reached the swimmers. What no one had seen was a swimmer who was floating face down just past the breakers. One look as he was brought in left little doubt as to his chances. I sent my kids away but witnessed attempts to revive him which would continue for the next 30 minutes. I can't imagine what this man's family must be going through, and perhaps he did do the right things. Emotionally, I still feel as if I should have gone out, though I knew as a former life guard that it simply would have put me in jeopardy without assisting anyone in the water. Later on, I discussed with my children what had happened, and that the man had drown. It is a lesson I know will stay with them for the rest of their live. I guess the most important aspect of this post is to implore anyone enjoying the surf to familiarize themselves with rip tides and how to protect yourself should you ever find yourself caught in one. As I told my kids, this shouldn't make you afraid to go in the ocean, but remind you to respect it's awesome power and be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment