Monday, February 11, 2013

Nemo (fishing related) - The Blizzard of 2013

Nemo: The Blizzard of 2013 Thoughts of fishing were temporarily placed on hold this weekend as Nemo struck with full force right in Central CT. My official yard total was around 31", but areas within a 15 mile radius recorded up to 38"! Maybe not such a big deal in Pulaski, NY, but in suburban CT things ground to a halt. I had planned to "stay ahead" of the snow by shoveling every hour or so into the evening. That worked great through the early evening Friday, and until we lost power. By 9pm the kids were in bed and I decided to make it an early night. At some point the power came back on, and when I looked out the window at 11pm I was shocked to see another 1'+ of snow. The thought of more shoveling just didn't appeal, so back to sleep I went. I woke to more snow than I've ever seen at one time. Since then, I've been shoveling - not blowing snow - shoveling. The kids are having a ball. Gus, who is a Southerner like me, has been bounding around up to his nose. A friend likened the neighborhoods to WWI trench lines. While we haven't seen a town vehicle in four days, everyone managed to plow out in our neighborhood. It's been kind of nice to get people out and talking to one another. While I wouldn't want to see this on a regular basis, I guess once in a lifetime isn't too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment