Monday, February 11, 2013

February Fishing

For those looking for some fishing action, Nemo is making things pretty interesting. I've heard some sketchy ice reports out there, and there doesn't seem to be anything safe unless you are up in the NW corner or points well north. I'd love to fish the Salmon River (NY) right now, as the lake effect snow limits access to the hardiest of walk-ins and drift boaters. If you are just jonesing for some big fish, but can't get south, look to book a drift trip with a great guide like Scott Glazier or Don Kingsley. One benefit of Nemo is that it should provide some good runoff, something sorely missed last season. (As I write, 40 degree temps and a light drizzle have melted a foot of snow.) I've seen some killer airfares posted for last minute flights down to Miami. A rental car and a short drive will put you right down in Islamorada during a prime sailfish month, as well as good backcountry fishing. I myself am getting ready to head down to VA to visit family and friends. If I had the time, I'd be fishing off the Chesapeak Bay Bridge for some of those big stripers that inhabit the LIS during the summer. If Punxsutawney Phil can be believed, we don't have much winter left, and pretty soon options close to home will be increasing. With fishing expos the next few weekends, a trip down south, and a boat to pick up the first weekend in March, I just may survive the rest of the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment