Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Lazy Summer Days

Hot weather and typical August fishing have made me kind of lazy, thus the lack of recent updates. I just posted a story about high water temps in the LIS causing the Millstone reactor to shut down (See below). I'm not surprised. It's caused a lot of fishing to slow down as well. I took the kids out in Branford Harbor and around to Killim's Point last week and had a mid-day skunking on the porgies! The Niantic area has been much better for porgies, small bass and fluke to keep them busy. On a positive note, Blaine Anderson has posted some nice Facebook pics of bonito caught in the Fisher's Island area. I'll be headed out that way Friday morning. Hope they're still around!

Dropped by my local slime pit (Hanover Pond) the last week in-between thunderstorms. This pond is right down the river from me, so I drop by pretty often to throw in a line. It's good early season for bass as it is shallow, and by summer is full of slime. Still decent for throwing frogs, which is what I was doing as a storm rolled in. Only had about 20 minutes to work the west bank (heavily fished all season). After a few dozen casts of my green pumpkin frog with nothing, a bolt of lightning announced the end of the evening. I threw out my last Hail Mary cast and saw a boil and wake about six feet away and heading towards it. Gave it a twitch and my line was heading sideways. Set the hook and hauled in a nice fat bass with about 5lbs. of slime as well.


Bass and Slime

Yesterday I went out with my buddy John on a quick trip to fish Black Pond in Meriden/Middlefield. Set off a bit after noon, so wasn't expecting much this time of year. Wasn't a bad afternoon, as we hooked a few decent bass and some little guys, all dragging frogs across lilly pads. Secret is to wear camo that matches the fish so you can sneak up on them :) Sure beats mowing the lawn!

All in all, still some decent fishing to be had, despite the low water levels and high temperatures.

Nice fish on a Zoom Watermellon/Red Fleck Frog

No comments:

Post a Comment