Monday, February 7, 2011

Cabin Fever



Itchin' to get out! I've done about as much re-organizing, re-spooling and tinkering as I can at this point. Still need to do a bit of re-wiring on the Gemma Rose. I need a bigger boat again, as my kids are getting older and I want to safely share my love of the water with them (That's what I tell my wife). I really need to be able to haul more gear and sometimes take another fisherman or two out. When you get to the point where the gear is worth more than the boat, time to upsize. Honestly, I can't really go out with fewer than 8-10 rods. My wife doesn't understand. I counter with "Why do you need so many pairs of shoes?" The answer is the same. Especially fishing solo, you need rods ready to go with a variety of options. I don't want to spend time on the water changing setups and re-rigging when the fish are biting. My typical assortment includes a pair of inshore baitcasters w/ 12lb. mono, 4 spinning outfits with 14-20lb. mono, fluoro and fused braid and rigged with a mix of soft and hard lures that I want to have ready. Throw in two inshore trolling reels w/ 20lb. metered braid on inshore rods, and one Penn "winch" and heavier trolling rod for TwoTree Channel, and I'm good to go. Oops, forgot a 9wt flyrod! That's 10, and I can scrape by with that. They're all ready to go. To pass the time I've been looking at boats to accommodate my obsession and the other weekend went to check out the Parker 23' center console and the Maritime 23' at the Hartford Boat Show. I like the Jones Brothers 23' center console as well. Well, there's always next year. What I really need is some warm weather and fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment