Friday, March 11, 2016

Spring Forward!

While there are times when I consider whether I could make a living fishing full time, the reality is, like many of you, I'm often reduced to the role of weekend warrior by the demands of family and my "full time" profession. (As a teacher, my wife repeatedly reminds me that I work a max of 186 days per year.) Winter especially becomes more difficult, as the days are short, local opportunities limited and Mr. Mom duties - thank God I at least drive a truck - mean that I'm often a few weeks between wetting a line. Friday evening dance classes for my daughter mean that getting a jump on a weekend trip to fish steelhead in upstate New York has become a rarity. I look at my calendar and for weeks rarely see an opening. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to miss out on doing this stuff, but seeing pics of some of my friends out all hours of the day and night fishing can be painful during these periods. Right now, I'm on a particular roll, not having fished in almost a month! Admittedly, I've passed on a few opportunities, choosing instead to attend some of the winter fishing shows where I've had the chance to catch up with friends, make some new ones, and BS endlessly about my favorite subject. However, the winter doldrums are just about over. This weekend I will set the clocks forward, put the Gemma Rose II in the water for the first time this season, and prepare to get my FISH ON! 

No comments:

Post a Comment