Saturday, April 27, 2013

Getting close, but not there yet!

Went out on the CT River today, putting in at Salmon Cove and running north to Middletown. The plan was drop in at high tide in afternoon and fish to the next high tide late tonight/tomorrow morning. I heard some decent reports of nightime stripers, schoolies with some mixed keepers, on the night bite in the area. I obviously threw in the towel on that idea. This was more of a scouting trip, and I was hoping to mark some stripers or maybe be one of the first to see some herring moving up. The weather forecasters around here suck, as despite the 5-6mph forecast, the wind was 12-15 straight up the river. Water temp is in the low 50's, and visibility was only a foot or so. Caught some perch and threw them in the livewell for pike bait as I made my way up river. Stopped and got a few reports from guys fishing along the banks. All were about the same, the occasional schoolie on a sandworm. This does not get me that excited. I just can't sit there and soak worms. I trolled through a number of spots that will hold stripers as the herring move in and marked not a thing. By the time I neared Middletown, my low oil light was on, and I took this as a sign to just call it a day. The new E-Tec is sucking up some oil during the no break-in, break-in period. To explain for those unfamiliar with the Evinrude E-Tec engines, they are 2 strokes that mix the oil electronically, thus no need to worry about all the hours at 1/2 then 2/3 throttle, etc. as with most new engines. It runs richer until the engine is worked in, and Evinrude claims it is maintenance free for three years. I don't plan to test fully test that. Guys and gals, were close, but just not there yet. My recommendation would be hit up your local trout stream or lake for some bass action, and give the stripers a bit more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment