Friday, January 18, 2013

January Report

I wish I had more that I could report right now, but my opportunities to get out and fish have been few and far between. In the mean time, I will cull through and post local reports from other sources to keep you up to date on what’s biting, when and where. Fishing is actually great right now. My friend and guide Scott Glazier is consistently putting people on fresh steelies up in Altmar, NY, including Jimmy Fee recently from On The Water. I’d love to sneak up there for a weekend, but don’t see it in the cards until my March trip. Saltwater anglers are starting to see a good bite of cod off Block Island, and I’ve had a few friends make the run over, returning with coolers full of fillets. Several charter and party boats are running out of Point Judith RI every day.

I’ve yet to get out for my very first ice-fishing experience. I even broke down and bought a few tip-ups, so I won’t show up completely empty handed. My wife has even expressed an interest in at least accompanying me on an ice-fishing outing. At least she won’t get seasick. Maybe this new cold snap will enable me to finally give hardwater fishing a go. Now I’ve just got to find a friend willing to haul along a few newbs.

If it’s not hard water fishing this weekend, I’ll probably make the trek up to the Riverton-New Hartford area to fish for some trout on the West Farmington. This new cold snap might slow things down a bit, but this stretch of river is known to yield fish all year long.

Whether it’s hard or open water, fresh or salt, there are options right through the months of January and February. It’s not just a time of year for sorting, repairing or eyeing new gear for the spring. Get out and wet a line!

No comments:

Post a Comment